At Kid’s Creek Therapy, we are dedicated to providing children with the highest quality therapy services available, and we understand that a traditional clinic atmosphere isn’t ideal for all patients. Modern technology now allows us to provide high quality treatment via teletherapy.
What is Teletherapy?
With teletherapy, consultations and therapy sessions are conducted remotely via a computer with high speed internet. Using secure live video chat, children are able to participate in a live, interactive therapy session, and parents are able to communicate privately with their child’s therapist. Teletherapy is endorsed by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) and the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA).
Who Can Benefit from Teletherapy?
A variety of circumstances can lead to a family choosing teletherapy over traditional clinic therapy. Following are a few scenarios in which a family might opt for teletherapy:
- Homeschooling families or those with multiple children for whom it is difficult to schedule regular clinic sessions for a single child
- Children who are ill, homebound or have compromised immune systems
- Families who live too far to easily travel to a clinic multiple times per month or who have limited access to reliable transportation
- Children who have anxiety or other needs who are more comfortable receiving treatment in a familiar setting
While teletherapy may be particularly beneficial to families like those described above, an additional benefit to teletherapy for any child is that sessions can be recorded for the child and his or her parents. Replaying a session helps reinforce therapy concepts, making therapy “homework” more productive.
How Does Teletherapy Work?
Teletherapy sessions are scheduled in advance at a convenient time. Once an appointment is scheduled, the family receives an email with a private link to access the virtual “treatment room”. By clicking the link, the family is connected with the therapist within seconds in a videoconference which is compliant with privacy standards for the child’s safety.
What Does My Family Need for My Child to Participate in Teletherapy?
The technology required for teletherapy is commonly found in households and includes:
- Computer, iPad, or tablet
- Webcam (included in iPads and most computers, but can be purchased inexpensively if needed)
- Headset or ear buds
- High speed broadband internet (minimum of 3Mbps download speed and 1Mbps upload speed)
Are You Ready to Give Teletherapy a Try?
If you believe teletherapy may be right for your child, call us at 770-888-5221 or request a free consultation.